The Networking World
The CCNA certification has been devised by CISCO and stands for Cisco Certified Network Associate. The certificate validates a professional’s ability to understand, configure, operate, configure and troubleshoot medium-level switched and routed networks and also includes the verification and implementation of connections via remote sites using WAN.
Communication has evolved greatly. Traditional communication methods such as mail have been overtaken by more sophisticated forms. Electronic Communication methods offer higher speeds; more efficiency, reliability, integrity, security; scale across larger geographical areas and require less resources to use. Tools and services such as e-mail, blogs, podcasts, instant messaging, and social networks among other multimedia methods have changed the way we communicate to a great extent.
In this chapter, we give an overview of the world of networks: we will discuss the following:
- The role of networks in our lives
- Explain the qualities and elements of a network
- Define key terms and diagrams used in this course
- Explain what a converged network is
- Give a brief history of computer network
Elements of a network
In order to understand networks we need to understand the elements of a network. There are four main elements that define how communication over networks works.
- Rules or agreements to govern how the messages are sent, directed, received and interpreted – examples include protocols.
- The messages or units of information that travel from one device to another – these may be packets, frames among others.
- A means of interconnecting these devices – a medium that can transport the messages from one device to another – such as copper cables, fibre optic among others.
- Devices on the network that exchange messages with each other – these may include ip phones, computers, servers, routers among others.
CCNA Job-Role Salary
Cisco – Router